Recent COMP News
We saw a lot of amazing posters in COMP at ACS Philadelphia. A huge congratulations to our Undergraduate Poster award winners of the Fall 2016 ACS session!
Edwin Fluck (encapsulation of sugar alcohols with foldamers)
Jessica Niblo (solvent effects on the reactivity of C-amino-1-methyl-1,2,4-triazoles)
Lucas VanLaar (applied HF to characterize fundamental atomic properties)Zachary Graziano (ice nucleation at mineral surfaces via MD)
I have pulled and uploaded a PDF of the On-site Technical Program. Additionally,
I have pulled the program information for a handful of divisions that have logical
overlap with ACS COMP.
H. Lee Woodcock
ACS COMP Program Chair
Congratulations to our new elected members of the COMP Division, and thank you to all other candidates for their interest and continued involvement with COMP. This year we again peaked at a response rate of about 540 out of 2100 possible votes. If you have any suggestions for bringing in more votes to the process, please get in touch with any member of the Division.
Chair Elect for 2017; Chair 2018: Maria Nagan
Councilor (2017-2019): Emilio Esposito
Alternate Councilor (2017-2019): Peter Jurs
Are you a student or postdoc interested in continuing your career in computational chemistry? Join senior members of the COMP division for lunch during ACS Philadelphia to discuss your career aspirations, goals, and other questions. We will host lunch for 20 students and postdocs right after the COMP Drug Discovery Wednesday AM session ends.
Space is limited and first come, first serve. Sign up in advance atow.ly/J001303k5jh
Take advantage of these great networking opportunities during ACS Philadephia.
1. Attend the ChemIDP™ Workshop: Planning for Your Career – Held Sunday, August 21, 2:00-4:00 pm, in Room 111A of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Join this interactive workshop to start mapping out your career plans and learn how the ChemIDP™, ACS’s new professional development tool, can support your career planning and preparation. Free refreshments. Please register here to attend this workshop.
2. The Faculty and Postdoc Afternoon Networking Coffee Break will be held Sunday, August 21, 4:00-6:00 pm, in Room 113B of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Refreshments will be provided.
3. The ACS Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholars Reception will be held on Monday, August 22, 7:00-8:30 pm, in Ballroom A of the Pennsylvania Convention Center. Please arrive by 6:45 pm, and sign in at the Division Table located just outside the Ballroom.
4. Student Speed Networking with Chemistry Professionals will be held on Monday, August 22, from 4:00-5:30 pm, in Hall G of the Pennsylvania Convention Center (just prior to the Graduate & Postdoctoral Scholars Reception). Simply talk informallyabout your career and aspirations.
5. Attend the Academic Employment Initiative (AEI) poster session on Monday, August 22, 8:00 to 10:00 pm, at the SciMix Poster Session in the Pennsylvania Convention Center – Halls D/E. A list of the job candidates and their brief biographical sketches can be accessed atwww.acs.org/aei.
If you have any questions, please reply to Postdoc@acs.org.
One of COMP Division member, Chuck Reynolds, Ph.D, is the founder and CEO of Gfree Bio, a company specializing in computational modeling for small pharmaceutical companies. Dr. Reynolds' company helps small companies and start-ups improve their experiments by developing new tools for modeling and drug discovery. Learn more about what Dr. Reynolds does as a computational chemist through this video.
Video and Description: ACS
The 2016 election will be for the 2018 Chair (2017 Chair-Elect) and a Councilor/Alt Councilor pair. The election will be conducted via Survey Monkey based on the official ACS COMP election email list of qualified voting members. If you do not receive a ballot and expect to, please contact our secretary (contact details in the Current Officers Section). The election will begin on June 28 and run until August 12.
If you do not get your ballot by the end of 6/28, please check spam/filtered folders, ensure you have not opted out of Survey Monkey, and that your ACS official email address is up to date, and correctly entered.
Bios for the Chair and Councilor candidates are available below via the pdf link
ON BEHALF OF IAC CHAIR, DR. ELLENE TRATRAS CONTIS:
To help fulfill and advance the ACS Constitutional mandate for the Society to cooperate with scientists internationally and (foster) the worldwide application of chemistry to the needs of humanity (Article 2, Sec 3), the ACS Committee on International Activities (IAC) is piloting a grant program for ACS members to make stopover visits during planned international travel from September 1 – December 31, 2016. Grants will be available to reimburse costs of local travel, accommodations, and incidentals for visits to work with existing and prospective scientific partners (and their students) for the purposes of conducting lectures, training, and building research collaborations. By August 1, 2016, please send a letter of interest describing details, timing and desired outcomes of the planned stopover to Dr. Ellene Tratras Contis, IAC Chair, at Intlacts@acs.org. If you have any questions, please contact the ACS Office of International Activities.
The deadline for abstract submission has been extended by 1 week. The new deadline is Monday March 28th at midnight EST. Hopefully this gives everyone plenty of extra time to get their COMP abstracts submitted. Please contact us if you have questions!
If you are attending the ACS National Meeting in San Diego... Here are some links and information to make your conference experience awesome!
Divisional Technical Program PDFs
Well, the ACS has decided to stop distributing the "On-site" printed program for free (i.e., they now charge for this)!!! Well my friends, do not fear... Below you will find the PDFs of the technical programs (like you've just ripped them from that huge book but without the ragged edge) to download and print. Below you will not only find the programs for MPPG and COMP, but the full program and several of the divisions that significant overlap with COMP programming at this meeting are provided too! Enjoy!
Please join us at the COMP Poster Session
Tuesday, March 15, 2016
COMP Awards and Poster Session
6 – 8pm
San Diego Convention Center Hall E
Download the ACS Denver Meeting app
Find the version for your smartphone here: http://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/meetings/spring-2016/mobileapp.html
Remember to follow us on Social Media!
COMP -> twitter.com/acsCOMP
COMP programming -> twitter.com/acsCOMPprog
COMP on Linkedin -> www.linkedin.com/groups/1819163